As 2009 draws to an end, perhaps time for reflection.
The chainsaws I juggle on a daily basis include marketing and social media strategy for public sector (government) clients with the Centre of Excellence for Public Sector Marketing (CEPSM).
I am also involved in various charitable initiatives. And I work with business clients through YouIntegrate.
As well, I strive to have at least three in-person meetings each week with someone I’ve never met before as I am always looking to collaborate with new people. So if you are in the Ottawa Canada region and we haven’t had coffee yet, dust off an hour and let's do that. In 2010, the coffee tour will expand to other cities.
It all might be dressed up in the nice neat client-consultant-business relationship but we know it’s not about that. It’s about human beings connecting and helping each other.
One issue has been consistent throughout my 26 year marketing and media career – we humans make a lot of mistakes.
• We also have a warped view of our world because it’s our world. But as long as we understand that our emergencies are not others’ priorities, we’re fine.
• We have fears and dreams and sometimes misguided views of our business ideas.
• We are impatient and have bad moods.
• There are selfish not so nice people in the world.
• We gain victories without grasping how to recreate them next time.
• We make assumptions that others involved in the project share our desired outcome despite the fact we haven’t clearly stated either.
• The "global economic crisis" has created paranoia and distrust among nervous and scared people. Everywhere. That behavior solves what, exactly?
As we enter 2010, what can we bring forward and what can we discard?
Perhaps these quotes may help with your decision...
A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.
Goals are dreams with deadlines.
Diana Scharf Hunt
Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.
Whoever gossips to you will gossip about you.
All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Competition brings out the best in products and the worst in people.
Corporation: An ingenious device for obtaining profit without individual responsibility.
Turn your wounds into wisdom.
marketing and social media strategy
image credit: snsmc.co.uk